Monday, October 27, 2008

Google Doc Forms Survey

Today we focused on spreadsheets and how they can simplify a teacher's job. We started with Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and then played with Google Docs. I made a survey about Halloween: find it at http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pZRHEGaiEeRRhPzsDS7Ieb

I have never used spreadsheets enough to become familiar, let alone efficient, with any functions beyond inserting labels in the cells. Our assignment on Excel in class was to create a gradebook with student names, assignments, and point values. I can do that without too much frustration (my computer guru friend Chris sitting next to me might not agree?) until the instructor had me work with the functions (calculating percentages and class averages). I know that I will have to spend MUCH time honing these skills because I can see how time-saving they will be once I get it in my brain. I see my practicum mentor teacher, Mr. Allen (5th grade), uses a similar district spreadsheet on PowerSchool to tally grades from assignments I corrected last week. He allowed me to look over his shoulder while he did this (and showed a little frustration too; might be he was just frazzled from parent-teacher conferences preparation but he claimed the program was, to him, not very user-friendly) but this week I hope to get my hands on it myself. I'm sure I'll quickly become familiar with the few calculating functions that I'll need by actually using them in the "real world." This would be helpful with parent-teacher conferences or any other communication with parents AND can be a great avenue for students (getting-to-know-you questionnaires and evaluations) to give feedback to me as a teacher in a forum that they would like (using the Internet rather than paper/pencil or face-to-face perhaps).

The cool thing about Google Doc, again, is that I can access my files from anywhere because they are saved on the Web universe. That means I wouldn't need to rely on having my laptop or my thumbdrive for a gradebook on the go (assuming I'd be thinking about doing teacher stuff without these at my side). My instructor suggested, however, how convenient it would be to have students submit their exams and quizzes through a form similar to my Halloween survey. The results appear on my email and there is a compiled survey sheet that puts all my survey results for me in a spreadsheet! Now that might be something to think about!!

Again my digital immigrant-ness is rearing its head as I struggle to become proficient with the technological tools that will simplify my teaching. I think it is just a matter of giving it some time and I'll someday say "I don't know how I ever lived without it!"

No comments: